From PDF to App, the Salesforce Optimizer has come a long way since its release in Spring-17.
In today’s blog I will be talking about the changes made. And how you can use this handy tool to optimise your Salesforce Instance.
Prior to the Summer ’20 release, Salesforce only offered the Optimizer functionality as a report. And this had some limitations to it. For example, only showing records for specific queries. Meaning the user was expected to re-run the report after making some changes. Luckily, with the Summer ’20 release, those days are behind us. In this upgrade, the report is now a functional app that you can interact with. After turning it on in the settings (further info on how to do this is below), you can run the Optimizer. And then sit back and wait while it generates the information.
How to enable Salesforce Optimizer?
The setup of Salesforce Optimizer is actually very straightforward. Just follow the steps below:
- From Setup, enter Optimizer in the Quick Find Box and then select Optimizer.
- Enable Optimizer by selecting the Allow Access box.
- You can then decide if you would like the app to run and update once a month, or download the PDF immediately.
- Click Open Optimizer.
In order to be able to run the Optimizer, the user needs the following permission settings: Customize Application, Modify All Data, and Manage Users.
When to run the optimizer?
The optimizer is a super useful tool when you want to check things such as your field usage, data storage usage, how many Reports, Page Layouts and Permission sets are unused. We recommend running the Optimizer app on a quarterly or semi-annual basis. It’s an excellent practice to get in the habit of. And will really help you ensure that you are keeping your Salesforce in tip-top shape.
Key Features of the Salesforce Optimizer App
- Automation – You have the option to run and update the optimizer on a monthly basis. Instead of manually having to run the report when needed.
- List Views – Having list views makes it easy to access the full results, recommendations and make changes in the setup all from one page.
- Recommendations – Salesforce gives you recommendations on how to fix the issue and improve your score. You can also see the estimated amount of time it will take for this to be completed. Helping you prioritise your work!
If you need help analysing the Optimizer results, or would like advice on how to improve the scores, get in touch here.